Tuesday, October 05, 2004

A Historical Marker In My Live

Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam - Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument

For some it was when Kennedy was shot. Since I was born a decade later the eruption of Mt St Helens is my marker of big historic moments. I remember where I was and I think this is the first time I became aware of the news of the world around me. I was in fourth grade in Mrs Lawrence's class at Wildwood Elementry School. We watched it on the news..

So over this past weekend this marker in my life became an eye opener to me of "how old I am" and a reminder that I am blessed to have friends of all ages.

I was out to dinner on Sunday in NYC with Craunifer. I hadn't seen the news and wondered if I missed a report of the new activity on the volcano. This conversation actually took place
Me: So have you seen the news? Has St. Helens erupted yet?
Craun: I dunno, where is that?
Me: Up near Seattle... wait - what year were you born?
Craun: 1980
Me: *blink - blink - silence*
Craun: blank look....
Me: I guess I'm old and you have no idea what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

PHRED said...

Awww, you aren't old! You're pleasantly fermented! I totally understand though. I was horrified the day I was talking to some friends and one of them had to ask "Now, what is Star Wars again?" and the other didn't know who Barbarella was. Not to mention a recent overheard conversation at Starbucks where a woman asked of her friend "There was a wall around Berlin?". Oy!